When to Seek Help
A person’s mental health is the way that feelings, thoughts, and behaviors affect your life. Good mental health is characterized by a generally positive view of yourself and can affect the way you function in areas, such as work, school, and in relationships, and it is often neglected leading to distress or feeling overwhelmed in your everyday life. Most people experience a bad day every once in a while and that is normal. If you notice that you are experiencing problems affecting your life more regularly, then it may be a good time to consider getting help.
Generally, the best time to consider counseling services is when you first notice a problem. Having the support of a professional counselor can help you find ways to alleviate the stress of the problem before you become overwhelmed. A counselor can help you identify your problems and assist you in finding the best way to cope with the situation. Often, changing behaviors that contribute to the problem, finding constructive ways to deal with a situation that is beyond your control, and talking out the problem with an objective listener can be helpful.
Professional counselors offer help in addressing many situations that cause emotional stress, including, but not limited to these situations:
- You are unhappy on most days or feel a sense of hopelessness
- You worry excessively or are constantly on edge
- You are unable to concentrate on daily activities, such as those related to work or school
- You are unable to sleep at night or consistently feel tired
- You have experienced a change in your appetite or your weight
- You have experienced a loss (i.e., a relationship break-up, a family death)
- You feel overwhelmed by what is going on in your life
- You are having thoughts about hurting yourself or someone else
If you have any questions about the counseling process, feel free to get in touch with us. We would be happy to talk with you about our services and answer any questions you may have.
Schedule an Assessment
Please fill out the form below to schedule an new client assessment. A member of our staff will be in contact with you in the next 24 hours to discuss scheduling options.